For Immediate Release
ATTACK ON OFFICIALS OF NGOS WORKING WITH THE CHILDWITCHES: APPEAL FOR A MEETING WITH THE GOVERNOR
Since the release of the UNICEF report http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/wcaro_children-accused-of-witchcraft-in-Africa.pdf and the airing of the CNN programme on Akwa-Ibom child witches recentlyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrvHYHzDDls, the State Governor has decided to release his vernon on those "making claims that there are childwitches" in his state.
To this extent, he has declared MR SAM ITAUMA WANTED!
And true to his threat, some of his foot soldiers attempted to intimidate (and possibly kill) the CRARN officials on 13 September 2010
Dear all, when Mr. Governor issued the threat some weeks ago on CNN, and later during a local programme on the Akwa Ibom State Broadcasting Corporation, little did we know that HE MEANT BUSINESS and that the lives and future of the STIGMATIZED CHILDREN are not IMPORTANT TO HIM. But, now we KNOW BETTER.
A stitch in time, they say, saves nine. Hence we want all global citizens to:
1. Be aware that ALL the officials of the NGOs working with these children have been DECLARED PERSONA NON GRANTA and consequently THEIR LIVES ARE NOT GUARANTEED (they live in perpetual fear for their lives)
2. That rather than reviewing the MEASURES taken so far, Mr. Governor (Godswill Akpabio) has decided to DENY what he earlier affirmed when he visited the CRARN Center in July 2009 FOR POLITICAL REASON (because his SECOND TERM in office ambition is under threat)
3. That CRARN, SSN, SSNCEF, YHN, CEPHD and their partners have no cladetine motive towards the governor
Based on the above, and to mitigate any further attacks, we want to implore all well meaning global citizens to HELP:
1. CALL on the Governor to SHEALTH his sword for the sake of the children (because we believe that their interest should be the focus for now)
2. APPEAL to the governor to provide SECURITY for the staff of the affacted NGOs as well as the affected children
3. The Governor should APROVE A MEETING with the officials of these NGOs to discuss face-to-face, so that unclear issues will be clarified.
It is our sincerely belief that the GOVERNOR is being MISINFORMED on our role in this matter, HENCE, we are cocksure the a meeting will be enough to clarify the cloudy opinions of the Governor.
Kindly help us, through your organisations, group and consulate, to request that the governor take action on these demands of ours.
His Excellency Obong (Barr.) Godswill Akpabio
The Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom State
Wellington Bassey Way
Uyo, Akwa Ibom State
Thanks and onward!
Young Humaistas Network